DEWA launches tender for fifth phase of giant Dubai solar park

Phase 5 of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park will provide 900MW of solar power

Phase 5 of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park will provide 900MW of solar power
Phase 5 of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park will provide 900MW of solar power

Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) on Saturday said it has issued a tender for the fifth phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.

Under the tender, the fifth phase will provide 900 megawatts (MW) of electricity using photovoltaic solar panels, based on the independent power project (IPP) model.

The move supports the objectives of the Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050 to provide 75% of Dubai’s total power output from clean energy by 2050.

The deadline to submit the tenders is 22nd August, with the winning bid owning 40% of the company operating the project, and DEWA owning the remaining 60%.

The winning bidder will sign an agreement with DEWA to purchase the generated power for 25 years.

DEWA said it received letters of intent for the tender from 64 companies, adding that the fifth phase of the solar park will be commissioned in stages starting from the second quarter of 2021.

The Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park is the largest single-site solar park of its kind in the world. It will have a capacity of 5,000MW by 2030 with investments of AED50 billion.

“We are committed to completing the phases of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park to the highest international standards with the latest solar power technologies,” said Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer, managing director and CEO of DEWA.

“DEWA is working to transform Dubai into a global hub for clean energy and green economy, to make it the city with the lowest carbon footprint in the world,” Al Tayer added.

The 13MW first phase became operational in 2013 using photovoltaic solar panels while the 200MW photovoltaic second phase of the solar park was operational in March 2017.

The 800MW photovoltaic third phase will be operational by 2020 while the fourth phase will feature the tallest solar tower in the world.

Follow us on

Most Popular